Challenges have been discontinued, but I hope you will enjoy browsing through this wonderful archive of Alice-inspired art!

Sunday, July 24, 2011

CHAPTER 5 Challenge - Week 4: Tea-Things


`And ever since that,' the Hatter went on in a mournful tone, `he won't do a thing I ask! It's always six o'clock now.' A bright idea came into Alice's head. `Is that the reason so many tea-things are put out here?' she asked. `Yes, that's it,' said the Hatter with a sigh: `it's always tea-time, and we've no time to wash the things between whiles.' `Then you keep moving round, I suppose?' said Alice. `Exactly so,' said the Hatter: `as the things get used up.' `But what happens when you come to the beginning again?' Alice ventured to ask. 
It's the LAST WEEK of the challenge, projects are due on Friday!!! The Mad Hatter's tea table was full of tea-things, with place settings all the way around and many teapots and teacups. Your challenge this month is to have a teapot or teacup on your project, and, as an option, to use something OTHER than a stamped image as your focal point!

That's because The Altered Alice design team will be showing off with digital collage sheets from One Crabapple [Etsy Store | Blog], which has of the most interesting and different Alice in Wonderland categories I've seen! The winner will have their choice of five collage sheets from One Crabapple!


The owner and artist is taking care of some family priorities, so if the store is closed when you visit, just put in your email in to be notified when it reopens. Take a look at the Sold Items to see all the products while the store is closed. It is well worth waiting for I promise; most of the design team members had a difficult time making  their choices and a couple of us needed all of everything in the Alice category, see for yourself:

 
 
 
  
It is the LAST WEEK of the challenge, so be sure to enter by 11:59 p.m. EDT (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC -4:00) on Friday, July 29. The winner and honorable mentions will be announced the last Sunday of the month on July 31.

Your Weekly Inspiration



Retta Fox of Foxy's Weblog has two more inspiring pieces for us, beginning with this wonderful canvas wall hanging. Isn't it fantastic?  The hardware at top and bottom is a nice touch - I think the top is a French Laundry hanger from Stampington and the bottom corners are decorated with Idea-ology.


The canvas background is colored with Distress Inks, paint dabbers, and crackle paint. LOVE the way Retta has snipped up the quote into bits and pieces!


The bottom is gorgeous with Alice's portrait nestled into a teacup. Love the pop of red on the polka dot teapot!  Such a fantastic piece, any Alice fan would be proud to have this hanging on her wall! Be sure to stop by Retta's blog and leave a comment!


This wonderful art journal page is Retta's final offering for this challenge. Love the way she has used the image of the girl twice, with one flipped for symmetry. The rub-on letters are such a great touch and I love the caption! Visit Foxy's Weblog and leave her a comment about her inspiring projects!


Erin Leveille of Stamp Til U Cramp has created an absolutely delightful mini album filled with ettiquette tips, so we will all know how to behave at the next tea party we attend, LOL! I love the bright colors and festive ribbons, along with the textured "Drink Me" tag!


The front cover sets the stage for our entertainment!


These charming illustrations are from a vintage children's book!


One Crabapple images including the charming Alice decorate the pages!


Be sure to enlarge the pictures so you can read all this good advice!!!


Isn't this a clever, clever project? I remember having Emily Post's ettiquette rules hanging over my head when I was growing up, so this charming mini-album brought back some fun childhood memories of learning manners at the table with my mother!  Be sure to stop by Erin's blog to leave her a comment about this fun project!


Terri DeVine of DeVine Designs by Terri created this wonderful tag with hand-tinted images! Instead of printing the collage sheet in color, she printed it black & white and tinted Alice, the teapot and the TEA letters with Prismacolor colored pencils! The stack of teacups was left black & white and it is a neat contrast! The shimmer covers all including the textured background and hand-dyed seam binding ribbon! Be sure to stop by Terri's blog and leave her a comment!



Lynne Phelps (me!) of Savvy Sisters Studio created a hybrid collage project. The images were first composited in an 8-inch x 10-inch digital collage:


Then the collage was printed several times on my brand new beloved color laser printer! I took a stretched canvas, painted the edges black and used gel medium to adhere one complete image to the front of the canvas. Then I took the cut up bits and mounted them over the base image in a pop-dot frenzy, LOL!


This project was very satisfying. It is fun to make the digital image but more fun to print it out and get messy with paint and paper!  Please stop by Savvy Sisters Studio later on when I'll have more details up in my post!


Jess Marin of My Scrap Diary decorated this charming picture frame with playing cards she created from the One Crabapple images!  She and Terri must have been on the same brain-wave as they have both used images printed black & white then tinted by hand!


I love the way she jumbled the letters so "tea" and "time" both share the same "T". I also love the way she has wrapped the tick-tock sentiment from the collage sheet around the letter "a" and nestled the watch in amongst the letters.


I really LOVE the playing cards Jess created with the collage images, so creative! Be sure to stop by My Scrap Diary and leave a comment for Jess!

To enter your creation, use the linky tool below - just click the link below the thumbnail images. Please list YOUR NAME or YOUR BLOG NAME when you link your entry. The field is long enough that you can also put the title of your piece, but please, please, please put your name first. (Note - if you are viewing this in email or through a reader, you will need to click on the title of this post to view it on the blog.)


Please leave a comment before you go!

8 comments:

  1. I've just added my entry. All the samples for the challenge this month are fabulous - very inspirational.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing as always! Such fun and varied projects! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olá vim buscar inspiração com voces!

    beijos

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I found you!! This is right up my alley Love Alice...LOVE all the inspiring art created here! I'll be spreading the word:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the site... made a tag... but your linky will not let me post... says my link is invalid and also not a valid e-mail..??? So sorry... I have linked my tag to your site... so hopefully few gals will join up... wish I could too...
    My tag is at
    http://lovelightandpeacebonnie.blogspot.com/2011/07/mad-hatters-tea-party.html

    Hope you will take a look see... I love Alice... and find this exciting... wish I could join in... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, I entered your tag so you ARE joined in and part of the party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at all the wonderful, creative entries! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS so much for participating in the experience that is THE ALTERED ALICE!!! Your comments mean the world to me, so thanks in advance for taking the time!