Challenges have been discontinued, but I hope you will enjoy browsing through this wonderful archive of Alice-inspired art!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

CHAPTER 5 Winner & Honorable Mentions


Our sponsor this month is One Crabapple [Etsy Store | Blog], which has some of the most interesting and different Alice in Wonderland collage sheets I've seen! The owner and artist is taking care of some family priorities, so if the store is closed when you visit, just put in your email in to be notified when it reopens. Take a look at the Sold Items to see all the products while the store is closed. It is well worth waiting for, I promise! 


The Winner

Random.org selected #7 as our winner, which means Crafty Steph of Cardiff, Wales, is one lucky girl! Steph will have her choice of five digital collage sheets from One Crabapple! 


Steph, please email me (there is a link near the top of the left column) and I'll arrange for you to get your prize! I hope you will display this challenge winner blog badge with pride and link it to The Altered Alice!


Crafty Steph created an altered teapot welcome sign. I love all the details, including the real spoon at the bottom! My favorite part is the perfect quote for someone's front door: "At last! We thought you'd never arrive!"  What a great way to greet your guests.

Honorable Mentions

I have to say we had the most amazing variety of projects submitted for this challenge! We had an Alice doll, an actual party event, and a house slipper! Some included actual real-life tea things, including a collection of teacup characters and. . . yes, the house slipper!  All of this is making it amazingly difficult to select the honorable mentions!

Ok, we are just going to have to start with that amazing altered house slipper!


I guess it makes perfect sense that Donna Mundinger of Popsicle Toes would be the one to think of an Alice-themed house slipper to warm her cold tootsies!  This view shows the slipper head (or toe) on.  She has even created a needle-felted dormouse as a charming accent!  You will have to read her blog post to find out its secret!


This side view may help you make more sense of it! The slipper can actually still be worn; the brown vine wraps around the ankle to help secure this conglomeration of Alice elements to her foot!  Be sure to visit Popsicle Toes to leave a comment on this construction!


Our second project uses teacups and saucers in a slightly more orthodox way! Amy of Plucking Daisies created a handmade flower and decorated cup to represent Alice, the Queen of Hearts, and the Mad Hatter. Be sure to go to her blog post to see closeups of each flower, all the details are fantastic!


Hazel of Hazel's Creative Moments has zoomed forward in time to present Alice all grown up, serving tea! I had to mention this one as much for the idea as for her brilliant execution!


I love the stylized beauty of this piece by Nancy Smith of ShelbyDoodle Designs, like what if Alice took place a century earlier in France? This lovely Alice image is available on one of the collage sheets from our sponsor, One Crabapple!


Debbie of Arty Crafty created this handmade doll dressed to match Alice in the movie, and then sewed a teacup and saucer as well to meet our challenge! Even the eyes were handmade. What a treasure!


Lola Azul of Apuntes des Colores has submitted her original artwork of her version of the mad tea party, complete with tea-things headgear! Be sure to visit her blot to see each of the individual characters; the March Hare and the Cheshire Cat are my faves!

I really LOVED all the entries but have run out of time, so I am bestowing the Honorable Mention badge to ALL entrants this month. 


I hope you will display it with pride, as the participants have really made The Altered Alice a special place in the blogosphere.  Take a few moments to look at all these fantastic projects linked below! (If you are viewing this in email or a reader, you may have to click on the title of this post to bring you to the blog.)


And please leave a comment here for me before you go, your comments are what keeps my enthusiasm for this project high!

10 comments:

  1. A huge congrats, Steph! Fabulous door hanger! Enjoy your prize. OOoh, and thanks for choosing to highlight my slipper. Jezzie still doesn't know her contribution to the making. HeeHee Really an amazingly creative group of entrants. I've so enjoyed them all. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for your lovely blog!. I find inspiration in all the lovely works you show us. You give a beautiful vision of Alice in wonderland and I'm very grateful for your fantastic work!. I'm looking foward for the next challenge. Kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EVERY one of these projects are amazing! I visit this blog often and LOVE it all. I so need to create something with my collection of Alice treasures! Thank you for all the inspiration!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful projects and all so unique!! Love seeing what everyone does w/ their Alice creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So happy to have won the collage sheets. I had so much fun creating the welcome sign so thank you Altered Alice girls for your inspirational blog challenges and projects each week. Looking forward to the August challenge! I'll definitely be adding the badge to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Steph - it's a fabulous piece and well done all the honorable mentions. Thanks Lynne for mentioning my piece, I had great fun making it and am looking forward to the next challenge.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As usual it's all eye candy. It's hard to pick a favourite because they are all so gorgeous and unique. Congratulations to the winners--your work is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These were so much fun to see! You guys are very talented. Lots of fun here!
    Stamp, Create, Play . . . Everyday! Hugs, Nola

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! Every piece in this collection is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic contributions, and congrats to Steph for an amazing piece.

    Hopefully I'll get to join in with next month's challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

THANKS so much for participating in the experience that is THE ALTERED ALICE!!! Your comments mean the world to me, so thanks in advance for taking the time!